Townsend Appreciation Day!
Today is Townsend Appreciation Day at the National Marine Life Center!
We’ll have special activities throughout the day to learn more about Townsend, about seals, and to celebrate his release. We’ll also be giving “behind-the-scenes” tours of our marine animal hospital. All education program proceeds and other Discovery Center donations for the day will be put towards Townsend’s satellite tag.
Did you know that Townsend-the-Seal was named after Townsend “Townie” Hornor of Osterville, MA? Mr. Hornor was one of the National Marine Life Center’s founders, board members, and a major benefactor to our marine animal hospital. Mr. Hornor loved the ocean and it’s critters. We wish he could be here to meet his namesake in person, but we trust he will watch over Townsend-the-Seal and all our past, present, and future patients.
Here’s today’s schedule.
WHAT: Townsend Appreciation Day
DATE: Thursday, June 27, 2013
- 10:15 am – Patient & Townsend Update with Behind The Scenes Tour*
- 11:00 am – Little Flippers Club, featuring “Townsend’s Story” and a special craft about Townsend.
- 12:00 pm – Patient & Townsend Update with Behind The Scenes Tour*
- 1:00 pm – Marine Animal Medical Mystery, featuring discussion of what it’s like to care for seals with middle ear disease.
- 2:00 pm – Patient & Townsend Update with Behind The Scenes Tour*
- 3:00 pm – Patient & Townsend Update with Behind The Scenes Tour*
- 4:00 pm – Patient & Townsend Update with Behind The Scenes Tour*
- 6:00 pm – Townsend Release at Scusset Beach, 20 Scusset Beach Road, Sandwich, MA
*Please note that due to animal treatment schedules throughout the day, and for the safety of our animals and our guests, portions of the marine animal hospital may be off limits during the Behind the Scenes Tour.
For those who can’t join us in person, please check on our Facebook Page or updates throughout the day:
And, while he’s still in his tank, you can see him live on our web cam at: nmlc.org/rehabilitation/web-cam/
ALERT: Townsend needs your help! We still have a few hundred dollars to raise towards a satellite tag. Please, donate now at:
youcaring.com/nationalmarinelifecenter. And thank you!