Career Resources for Students
Marine animal rescue, rehabilitation, release, and research is an exciting field. There are many ways to get involved, most commonly as a volunteer. Following are some resources that may be of use as you explore this field.
Job & Volunteer Opportunities in Marine Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation:
Gift Shop Manager
Human Resources Director
Life Support Systems Engineer
How To Get There From Here:
- Volunteer, volunteer, VOLUNTEER – any experience with animals and science helps.
- GO to COLLEGE. Consider higher education (Master’s or Doctoral degree).
- READ professional journals, NOTICE where the authors are from.
- ATTEND scientific conferences. INTRODUCE yourself to presenters.
- VISIT marine science facilities, TALK to workers in the field.
- Be REALISTIC, but….
- FOLLOW your DREAM!
For a printable sheet listing these resources, click here.
As some closing food for thought, here’s an article by John E. Reynolds, III of Eckerd College and the U.S. Marine Mammal Commission. “Surviving Professional Puberty in Marine Mammalogy: Things Mom and Dad Didn’t Tell You.”