The Alternative Gift Market is a unique two-day shopping experience where you can get acquainted with a variety of local charities and make donations in the name of someone else as a gift. These organizations provide a wide range of services, including health services, protection of wildlife, preservation of our environment, legal advice and advocacy and making Cape Cod a kinder, safer place for everyone!
- When: Saturday, November 15, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m &
Sunday, November 16, 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Where: Unitarian Church of Barnstable, 3330 Main Street, Barnstable, MA 02630
All donations are tax deductible and credit cards will be accepted.
Refreshments will be served.
- Audible Local Ledger is a radio reading service serving Cape Cod and the Islands for the blind, visually impaired, and print disabled.
- Barnstable Land Trust protects land in its natural state in order to preserve the natural resources of our community; its wetlands, woodlands, wildlife and water quality. We work solely in the Town of Barnstable and have protected 1,023 acres in the seven villages.
- Cape Cod Volunteers matches people with meaningful volunteer opportunities on Cape Cod.
- Cape Wildlife Center, a program of the Humane Society of the United States in partnership with the Fund for Animals, is one of only three major wildlife rehabilitation center in Massachusetts. It provides veterinary and rehabilitative care to nearly 2,000 injured, ill and orphaned animals annually, helps residents resolve human/animal conflicts and offers training in wildlife medicine and rehabilitation to wildlife professionals and veterinary students from around the world.
- CHAMP Homes creates a home away from home for those who are homeless, and gives them hope.
- Duffy Health Center ’s mission is to prevent or end homelessness through the provision of medical, behavioral health, case management and housing services to persons who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
- Fair Trade Food
- Habitat for Humanity of Cape Cod works in partnership with families in need, to build homes, hope, lives and community on Cape Cod. Founded in 1988 as an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, we have built homes in all fifteen towns of Cape Cod to provide the opportunity of affordable homeownership to families in situations of critical housing need.
- Independence House is the only comprehensive community-based resource on Cape Cod, providing free and confidential services for families impacted by domestic and sexual violence.
- Massachusetts Audubon Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary works to protect the nature of Massachusetts for people and wildlife. Locally, we manage the Ashumet Holly, Barnstable Great Marsh, Long Pasture and Skunknett River Sanctuaries.
- National Marine Life Center is an independent marine wildlife hospital Give a gift to help seals!and science and education center located in Bourne, Massachusetts. Our mission is to rehabilitate and release stranded marine mammals and sea turtles in order to advance science and education in marine wildlife and conservation.
- Sight Loss Services is a peer-based self-help human services organization OF and FOR the visually impaired.
- South Coastal Counties Legal Services has been providing free non-criminal, civil legal services to low-income and poor residents of Barnstable County since 1964. When vulnerable people face critical legal matters that threaten their quality-of- life, SCCLS responds by providing caring, competent, and free legal representation.
- Thrive at CIGSYA is a community-based alliance of young people from fourteen to twenty-two that exists to improve the lives of LGBTIQQS (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning and straight) youth on Cape Cod and the Islands by addressing key risk factors such as the self hate, isolation and fear, which are often prevalent in their lives.
- WE CAN For more than ten years, WE CAN has been dedicated to empowering Cape Cod women of all ages to successfully navigate challenging life transitions such as career change, job loss, illness, divorce or retirement. Whether the situation is acute or chronic, WE CAN helps – with information and referrals, mentoring, free legal services, one-to-one financial sessions, training and workshops – empowering women to achieve lasting positive change for themselves, their families and ultimately for the entire community.
- Whale & Dolphin Conservation supports and leads ground-breaking scientific research, funding whale and dolphin conservation field projects around the world.
This event is sponsored by the Unitarian Church of Barnstable’s Green Sanctuary and Social Justice Committees. For more information, contact ucbAGMteam@gmail.com or visit www.barnstableuu.org/events/AGM2014.html.